William Kirwill the American from "Gorky Park" says it all

William Kirwill the American from "Gorky Park" says it all
"Born-again Christians. They don't smoke, they don't swear, they don't fuck" That's me minus the Christian part


Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Turkey Tournament 2010


We played 76 games all in one day. We lost in the finals of the 4th Flight. We lost all but one match and that is how we got into the finals.

We started playing at 8:30 that morning and finished at 5:00 that evening. It was a long day and I loved every minute of it.

The tournament always has a lot of really good players in it. Even in my younger years, I've only ever won in the 3rd Flight. Once or twice we were in the 2nd Flight but got knocked out. So I think after not playing tennis for so long, we were lucky to have been in the last Flight Finals.

There is usually a good amount of food being served to keep our strength up and for those that can play and drink........there is BEER!!


 The Engineer was wondering what I had gotten him into. He was only home for the weekend. Not only did we play Saturday but I had scheduled a match for Sunday too.

I'm sure he was happy to go back to DC so he could take a rest!







 
Me taking a break. You see I'm only drinking water!
Afterward there is always a beer or two consumed to celebrate the end of a glorious tennis day!




The Finalist of the 4th Flight. That's me, the Engineer and our opponents who kicked our asses.












The Champions of the Tournament won the Turkeys.
They finished just after 6 pm.


16 comments:

  1. Looking good! I am sure the beer or two were greatly deserved ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I just started playing tennis, but I can only make it an hour. I can't beleive you played for so long. Maybe if I was playing for a turkey, it would be a different story. Oh, and beer would help too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized that I misspelled 'believe' in my previous comment. Please don't tell my students I didn't proofread before sending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the constant pursuit of the ball(s). I know it well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you did that on purpose, Missed Periods. You were just checking to see if I'd notice ;).

    PS Playing singles and playing doubles are two very different games. My husband does all the running. I just put them away! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. MacDougal Baby, I try to never ask an unknown opponent if he has balls. The last time I did, I was told, "yeah sweaty ones"....ewwweeewww

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just thinking of all that playing makes me sweat...and reminds me I must go dig up the garden and work up a sweat.

    You must be feeling soooo good after all this, whether it's win, lose, draw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look remarkably un-sweaty, Martyrmom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's because The Engineer does all my running. I'm a great coach....go! yours! i can't! go go go!!! run!

    uh oh! is my favorite words...that means I can't too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beer is the ultimate energy drink. It keeps me awake while I'm driving a bus full of nuns holding babies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh, so that's why you're not tired.

    But then, that's so not you in the photo :-D

    The 'you' that I walk around with in my head is the Halloween photo because that's the first picture of you that I saw.

    So now I have to retrain my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AWH LAWDY!! GG....retrain your brain....QUICK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A nice frosty beer is always good after a long, hot day! It also helps the ole body as it starts to stiffen up after hours of intense use!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems easier to me to just buy the turkey. But where is the fun in doing that?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that is one long tennis marathon. Not sure if I could do that. I would shudder to think of the umpire declaring 'new balls please'. And, evidently, in tennis, 'love' means nothing at all:-)
    Have a good weekend.
    Gary.

    ReplyDelete