William Kirwill the American from "Gorky Park" says it all

William Kirwill the American from "Gorky Park" says it all
"Born-again Christians. They don't smoke, they don't swear, they don't fuck" That's me minus the Christian part


Saturday, December 18, 2010

You Slut, You Whore, You Prostitue??

I may not be much on grammar but I do love the English language. I love the play on words that some people use and I love finding the meaning to words.  Bob studied Latin in high school and since then, I've also been interested in the origin of a word. To find a new word and actually be able to use it daily, makes my heart sing.

The words.... slut, whore, and prostitute... has always given me cause to go back to the dictionary and rethink their use . My girlfriends and I have had many conversations on them. 

According to dictionary.com the meaning of these words are as follows:

SLUT :
1. a dirty, slovenly woman.
2. an immoral or dissolute woman; prostitute.
 
WHORE: 
1. a woman who engages in promiscuous sexual intercourse, usually for money; prostitute; harlot; strumpet.
 
Prostitute: 
1. a woman who engages in sexual intercourse for money; whore; harlot.
2. a person who willingly uses his or her talent or ability in a base and unworthy way, usually for money.
 
I can remember when I first met The Engineer, my mom said to me, "you'll never make a good prostitue.". I looked at her in a puzzled, but not surprised, fashion and asked her why not. She said, "because you give it away." Well, we all know what "it" is and I was never sure that was true, but......
 
Probably a year into our relationship, a friend of mine was moving to Germany and couldn't take her 2nd car. It was a 65 Mercedes. It was old and beat up. She only wanted $300 for it. The Engineer bought it for me. So when my mom asked why he had done that I casually said "back pay!". She gasped.... hey! What do mom's know anyhow??? I know, I know.....300 dollars is a small amount for a year's worth of sex. What can I say....I'm cheap!! Right?

On to the meaning of the 3 words..............

In my humble opinion the real meaning should read:

Slut: 
one who will have sex with anything.  
 
Whore:
one who has sex for pleasure and may sometimes get paid.
 
Prostitute: 
what we all are in one way or other (definition 2)

There are other words I could throw in here like, you hussy, you strumpet. Why you, you harlot, you tramp....
 
But none of them sounds so good as  YOU  BITCH! YOU SLUT! YOU WHORE!! Ever been to the Howl at the Moon Saloon? You'll hear this chant when they sing different songs. When we went to the one in Miami,  I won a bumper sticker (for MY bumper)  for doing a line dance to New York, New York!!
 
 
 
oops off topic............
 
 
 
You can call me a whore if you wish. I won't be offended!
 

16 comments:

  1. *LOL* I admit to no 3 and why not for the no's 1 & 2 as well. They are just words and they cannot harm me and they usually tell more about the sayer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting that there are so many words for the women but not the men, there's 'john', I can't think of any other. And 'john' doesn't even sound as derogatory as the words for the ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The term "gigolo" for men comes to mind.. but some of us would actually take that as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Martyrmom,
    A very interesting interpretation of those three words.
    I am just a Canadian dude living in England who is now, evidently, a 'bloke'. Whatever.
    Speaking of 'grammar'. I firmly believe in 'grammar anarchy':-)
    Have a great weekend.
    In kindness, Gary 'the gigolo' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is also the word "slapper" which is quite popular in England.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we use man-whore a lot! ha ha!

    GB...Slapper? have to check that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Dear! Just looked up slapper....Urban dictionary describes it quite well!! I'd put that one in the slut category. Only uglier!!!

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=slapper

    ReplyDelete
  8. What about: trollop; hussy; harlot; floosie; slag; or even loose woman!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John...yes tart is a good one...

    why oh why are there no man whore words???



    hey! Dad!!
    OOOHHH forgot floosie and trollop ...yeah...those were used often!

    I don't know about slag...is that french for slut?? haha

    Hussy and Harlot were up there already

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I prefer strumpet and harlot over slut and whore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really partial to hussy and use it quiet often...my southern upbringing...ya know!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whore, slut, hussy, prostitute, strumpet, harlot... so on and so forth. Hell, we all sell ourselves at some freakin' level. for either money, fame or our own agenda to get what we want or think we need. We're a funny ol' race of beings. "Tragicomic" is how I describe us all.

    That was a delightfully uplifting video. I could have used a beer or something while listening to that. What fun!

    Here's hoping you and your tribe have the bestest Christmas in all the world. And by that, I mean a peaceful one, hopefully. Because, really, a Christmas without incident is a happy one. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, I can confirm slag and slapper are the words of choice here in the UK. Men within the same context adopt the new medical label 'sex-addict' Sounds so much better than man-ho eh Tiger?
    Incidentally, we also have some interesting words for ladies not exactly blessed in the looks department - munter, moose, gargoyle
    Hope you have a very happy and peaceful christmas MM xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for the education. I think from now on, I'll take a seat up front.

    ReplyDelete