William Kirwill the American from "Gorky Park" says it all

William Kirwill the American from "Gorky Park" says it all
"Born-again Christians. They don't smoke, they don't swear, they don't fuck" That's me minus the Christian part


Thursday, June 30, 2011

Trying to Prove Who I Am

Well it's almost time for me to renew my driving license. Because of 9-11 I have to REALLY jump through hoops to get it renewed.

I think it is discrimination against women. The question asks, "have you ever gone by another name?" I've been married 2 times and of course I have my maiden name. I have to have my certified marriage certificate to prove that my name now is what it is. I have to prove  that I got a divorce. I have to have my certified birth certificate and a social security card and two pieces of mail addressed to me showing my address.

I've never gotten my marriage certificate so I pull up the application on line.......I decide that I'm going to "Virtually" order it since ordering it from the court takes  a lot more time and effort.They only accept  money orders and I have to send a self addressed stamped envelope (basically I'm lazy).

I get to the payment part and all is well. After I pay, I'm told I have to fax in a copy of an affidavit notarizing that I am who I say I am........WHAT????....geesh.....



I go to print out the affidavit to prove who I am and whose name is on it?? The Engineers!?!?!
They are now asking for him to prove who he is and that we are married. um.....Ok !?!?!

GRRRRR .........


In the mean time, we have to send off to renew our passports so we can go to the Galapagos. I got my passport in 2000. They requested a  birth certificate. I can't remember that they asked for anything else. For the renewal they ask for nothing except my original passport and a new picture.

Why can't I just show my passport to the license bureau? The government trusts who I am but my state doesn't ??

Go figure??


6 comments:

  1. My mother, very smart, has made sure that we all have copies of our birth certificates, and we must always keep them safe.

    Why do women have to change their surname when they marry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. *shaking my head* unbelievable red tape horse manure! I would be angry too and here is a story

    Few years ago when I went back to Finland and told the powers that be that I had divorced from my English hubby, they simply did not believe me.

    They would not make "divorced" as my status until I had translated the divorce documents with a cost of stupid amount of money with the official translator.

    I kept the idiots name so luckily I have not have to go through what you did MM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah! The price of bureaurocracy! Non-jobs for non-entities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to renew my license the other day also, I was amazed at the documents they required. I think a drivers license now is the defacto Government ID card. Your papers please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would send this blog to the local newspaper and television station. This idiocy is unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To All:

    I think the crazy part is that you can get other documents to prove who you are with ease. Really...do any of you know someone who is a notary? Things must be notarized if you get certificates on line. There are always those who will sign the papers without actually seeing any ID.

    The next crazy thing......lose your wallet....try getting replacements for things...um in order to get a license you must show a SS card and birth certificate...in order to get a SS card you must have a picture ID?? Vicious cycles sometimes.

    ReplyDelete